Many Finished Objects: Catching Up Edition

Giant hats happen with the wrong yarn and the wrong needles for a specific pattern. #project365

Pattern: “Bloody Stupid Johnson” by Sarah Lilly
Made For: charity
Needle: US 6/4.0 mm
Yarn: unknown
Completed: February 17, 2013

This was a good challenge! After finishing the ribbed brim, I took another week to figure out how to pick up and knit the middle section with the cable. And after I finished all of that, I figured how to join the first and last row of the cable section, then pick up and finish the top. I learned that I really hate picking up and knitting.

Who knew that gauge swatches were so important to a project? I’ve always been kinda ‘meh’ about testing my gauge, but I guess I’ve never been so off with a project in the past. This hat turned out to be ridiculously huge, so I haven’t yet donated it back to charity. I’m planning to rip it apart and make a different hat. Hopefully one that will fit a normal human head.

More on Ravelry »

blocked! this took most of 2013 #project365

Pattern: modified & knitted version of “Bear’s Rainbow Blanket” by Purl Soho (thanks to On Blueberry Hill)
Made For: baby Amelia
Needle: US 6/4.0 mm
Yarn: mostly leftovers from my stash
Completed: October 18, 2013

This was very easy, mindless knitting. I could finish a square in about 4–5 hours, which isn’t terrible since I was working on multiple projects at the time. (Okay, I still am…) Seaming all of the blocks together at the end is a different story. I’m happy I did this project, but I’ve since learned of more efficient patterns to knit blankets with this same look.

More on Ravelry » | More on Flickr »


Pattern: “Fetching” by Cheryl Niamath
Made For: myself
Needle: US 6/4.0 mm
Yarn: Berrocco Vintage
Completed: originally March 24, 2013 by I edited my finished product and really finished late in December 2013

Quick and painless! I didn’t knit enough to cover my knuckles as much as I would have liked, so I picked up along the top edge and added more stitches with a slight decrease to help keep some warmth in the mitts. During this process, I discovered that I had actually used four needles holding 15 stitches each to cast on 60 stitches instead of reading the pattern properly to see that I should have only used three needles with 15 stitches each (45 stitches total)… so these are a little roomy around my palm. They still turned out very nice.

More on Ravelry » | More on Flickr »


Pattern: “Dashing” by Cheryl Niamath
Made For: Jason
Needle: US 7
Yarn: Berrocco Vintage
Completed: November 17, 2013

I cast on the correct number of stitches for these guys and they fit Jason like, well… gloves! They are sort of strangely long on his wrists, though, so I might eliminate a cable twist or two if I used this pattern again.

More on Ravelry » | More on Flickr »


Pattern: “Tyrian Loop” by Adriana Hernandez
Made For: myself
Needle: US 4/3.5 mm
Yarn: such delicious Malabrigo Arroyo
Completed: October 30, 2013

This is when I learned my lesson to always bring a small project along on days when I’m working at the yarn store. Because I didn’t on the day that I picked out this project. I was flipping through the winter issue of Knitscene, wanting to make everything I saw, when I saw this. It only needed one skein of yarn and that is such a good excuse to splurge a little on some lovely Malabrigo!

It was also fun learning how to use beads in knitting. I am wearing this as a type right now!

More on Ravelry » | More on Flickr »

i knit this in three days! #project365

Pattern: “Silje” by Trond Anfinnsen/Knitkid
Made For: myself, but it was a little small so I’ve given it to my niece, Hannie
Needle: US 4/3.5 mm
Yarn: leftover Malabrigo Arroyo and Berroco Vintage DK
Completed: November 25, 2013

I literally knit this in three days. I have never done color-work like this before and it was a good project to try it out with. I want to do more!

More on Ravelry » | More on Flickr »


Pattern: “Drop It Like It’s Hot” by StevenBe
Made For: myself
Needle: US 7/4.5 mm
Yarn: Knitwhits Freia Handpaints Freia Ombré Sport in “Powderhorn Park”
Completed: January 2, 2014

This is a project I picked up from last year’s yarn shop hop. It’s small and compact enough that I thought it would be a good one to try out during my re-introduction to bus commuting. I got over my fear of trying to do cables on the bus (I thought I would be dropping cable needles everywhere) and completed this project in about a month. I wear it very often — it keeps me warm!

More on Ravelry »

And I’m all caught up on reporting finished objects! My knitting fever has definitely picked up since I started my part-time gig with the yarn store.

Here is what I’m working on now:

  • Sallah Cowl (bus project)
  • Gradient cowl / Knit the Sky (this is for the whole year — of course I’m already behind by a couple of weeks)
  • Somewhat secret chevron blanket project
  • Girl’s Quilt Stitch Boatneck Pullover (another kit I got from last year’s shop hop — currently on hold)
  • Men’s Broken Rib cardigan (I inherited some yarn and needles from Bertine and found a pattern that would work — but this one is also on hold and who knows if it’ll ever actually be completed)

And what just needs finishing touches:

  • Ravenclaw House Scarf (just need to weave in the billions of ends then add fringe to either sides of the tube… someday)
  • Cabled Wrap (this has been waiting patiently to be blocked and to receive buttons)

And I picked up two other projects this past weekend:

  • Linen Stitch scarf from Churchmouse
  • Wedding idea to be knit with fancy yarns from Madeline Tosh and Dream in Color (drool) (this also means: no more yarn purchases ’til after the wedding! … maybe.)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.