Tonight’s dinner was snagged from Eat Better America.
- 6 medium red potatoes (2 lbs), unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 carton (32 oz) Progresso® reduced-sodium chicken broth (4 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bag (12 oz) Green Giant® Valley Fresh Steamers™ frozen broccoli cuts
- 1/3 cup Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free (skim) milk
- 8 oz brick 2% milk reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 4 medium green onions, chopped (1/4 cup)
- In 5-quart Dutch oven, place potatoes; add just enough water to cover. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are very tender. Drain. Reserve 1 cup potatoes; return remaining potatoes to saucepan. In small bowl, mash reserved potatoes with fork; return to saucepan.
- Stir in broth, salt and pepper. (Naturally, I also added a bunch of red pepper flakes… and some crushed garlic I had in the fridge.) Heat to boiling. Add broccoli. Return to boiling; cook uncovered 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium.
- In small bowl with wire whisk, stir flour into milk until well mixed. Add milk mixture to potato mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens and boils. Stir in cheese until melted and smooth. Stir in sour cream and green onions; cook until thoroughly heated.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls.
My chowder seem remarkably cheddar-y in color, but tastes super delicious! There was chopping and boiling, but this whole recipe was easy and flowed very well (I have a tendency to be easily distracted). I will definitely be making this again! I think it might be awesome with peppers, snow peas, and other yummy greens.